February 17, 2006, Newsletter Issue #4: In California, you need to file a specific “Release of Liability” form when donating a vehicle.

Tip of the Week

Car donation facilities exist throughout California. Vehicles donated in California to a non-profit classified with the IRS as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization are deductible from your federal income taxes. In most cases, the state of California requires that the donor present the charity or donation program with the title of the vehicle. If you do not have title papers, you can still complete a California car donation by filling out the application for duplicate title form and by requesting a Registration History printout from the DMV. Visit the California Department of Motor Vehicles web site to obtain the necessary forms before donating a vehicle. The California DMV requires you as a donor to mail in the "Release of Liability" form that is attached to your title on the day that the car donation is processed and the vehicle is picked up by the donation service’s agent. If you do not have a "Release of Liability" form, you can download one from the California DMV web site.

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Car Donation Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
George Sayour