October 2, 2009, Newsletter Issue #169: Special Rules for Deductions Over $500

Tip of the Week

Car donation tax law changed in 2005 for taxpayers who claim a deduction greater than $500. If the vehicle is sold by the charity, the deduction claimed by the donor cannot exceed the gross proceeds from the sale. Taxpayers also need to supply Form 1098-C to the IRS, or a written acknowledgement by the charity that states the gross proceeds from the sale. The statement needs to be attached to the taxpayer's return. It must contain the Vehicle Identification Number, known as the VIN. The charity must also state in the acknowledgment that the transfer was between unrelated parties.

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Car Donation Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Jerry Mayo