Use Form 8283 When Filing a Claim

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Car Donation Tax Deduction and other Car Donation topics.

What IRS form do I need to fill out to claim my car donation?

Use Form 8283 When Filing a Claim

When claiming a car donation tax deduction, you must use Form 8283, "Noncash Charitable Contributions," if it is valued at more than $500.
Fill out Section A of the form if your total deduction for all noncash charitable donations, including your used car, is $5,000 or less.
If it is more than $5,000, you likely will need to complete Section B. In some cases, donors also may need to file proof of a certified appraisal. For expensive car donations, it may be a good idea to seek the help of an accountant.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Car Donation Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Susan Sayour